2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

gmic at 2.10.20

GIMP or GIMP LEARN forum related Questions
Dafne
Forum Member

gmic at 2.10.20

Post#1 by Dafne » 11 Jul 2020, 18:40

I installed 2.10.14 and then gmic in my windows 7. But then I neglected the program for a few months so the program wasn't functioning (it didn't open) anymore so I updated it to 2.10.20 and I got every of my previous plugins and brushes but not gmic. So I downloaded the installer from the gmic official page and I got the same results, It doesn't appear anymore at filters menu. What I'm doing wrong?
GIMP Learn rocks...

mahvin
Forum Member

Post#2 by mahvin » 12 Jul 2020, 04:57

Check your plugin folder in Preferences to make sure it's pointing to GMIC.
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes

rich2005
GIMP Guru

Post#3 by rich2005 » 12 Jul 2020, 09:00

Some questions you need to ask yourself.
installed 2.10.14 and then gmic in my windows 7.
Is your Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit? gmic support for 32 bit is now very limited to a 32bits_(old) section where the installer gmic_gimp2.10_qt_win32.exe is broken. Use the zip version. 64 bit is OK.
But then I neglected the program for a few months so the program wasn't functioning (it didn't open) anymore so I updated it to 2.10.20
Gimp does not just wasn't functioning (it didn't open) anymore on its own. There must have been a reason, updated AV for example. However updating to 2.10.20 is a good idea anyway.
...and I got every of my previous plugins and brushes but not gmic.
This is where Windows users (wrongly) assume a reinstall wipes the slate clean. It does not, all your settings, brushes, plug-ins, scripts are help in your Gimp user profile C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\ still there to (possibly) screw up the new version of Gimp.
So I downloaded the installer from the gmic official page and I got the same results, It doesn't appear anymore at filters menu. What I'm doing wrong?
The gmic_gimp Windows installer is very good (apart from the 32 bit version ;) ) It will find your Gimp profile and correctly install as its own folder to C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins.
Do you have the folder gmic_gimp_qt in your user profile ? Gimp does not need an extra path defining that folder, it is built in for plug-in folders.

Try the zip version, unpack put the whole folder gmic_gimp_qt in the plug-ins folder replacing what is there.

Edit: Unlikely, but it has been known the wrong installer gets downloaded and used.

Dafne
Forum Member

Post#4 by Dafne » 13 Jul 2020, 01:24

thanks for all replies !
] I installed the 32 bits folder at app data_roaming rute. the good thing is that gimp recognize gmic but like said the capture it doesn't run:
It don´t find the point of entry of the procedure _zns7_cxx1118basic_stringstreamIcst11 char_traitsIcESaIcEEC1Ev in the library of dynamics links libstdc++-6dll.
That's the message when gimp tries to run g'mic at the opening.
thanks to the suggestios, I tried with both zip files 64 and 32 bits and nothing happens with the filters menu. with 32 bits zip at least I have an error message with the 64 bits it open like nohing have happened but still missing in the filters menu.
Someone know about this?
GIMP Learn rocks...

mahvin
Forum Member

Post#5 by mahvin » 13 Jul 2020, 05:47

I had similar problems with Mac OSX, but not with Windows. I recall using the Windows feature to back up my Windows to the point where everything was working correctly. Sometimes it helped, other times it failed. Like Rich suggests, something has changed since. You can turn off your AV temporarily to see, and try again. You can also check to see if you have two conflicting plugins in separate folders, your user folder or your Global folder. In that instance, they tend not to work at all and do not produce errors.
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes

rich2005
GIMP Guru

Post#6 by rich2005 » 13 Jul 2020, 12:22

It looks like you are using a 32 bit Windows 7.

How to determine 32/64 bit. An easy way to tell is using Windows Explorer
Only "Program Files" = 32 bit
If "Program Files" + " Program Files (x86)" = 64 bit

Why does it matter ? A 32 bit plugin will run in 64 bit Windows but not a 64 bit plugin in 32 bit Windows.

Back to the error message. Looks like you are out of luck. The 32 bit Gimp 2.10 gmic plugin does not work with Gimp 2.10.20

It did work in earlier Gimp versions. I had a series, Gimp 2.10.8 -> Gimp 2.10.14 that would not even install in my 32 bit Win7 VM. You can go back to the last version of Gimp that you know installs and try again.

Dafne
Forum Member

Post#7 by Dafne » 20 Jul 2020, 18:26

I'm a 32 bit windows. I think I should wait to a update of gmic or gimp to try again. I have tried with all methods you teach me but the gmic filters still missing. I tried with the zip version of the two 32 and 64 bits (just in case) but still the same. Until now I use the gmic online version, although is better having it built in. I really missing it.
Thanks for answering to my question.
GIMP Learn rocks...

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP