2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  🡆 Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

No more news about Corona please!

Say hello and/or welcome new members
Share story of how you found us
Jappaloe63
Forum Member

No more news about Corona please!

Post#1 by Jappaloe63 » 02 Apr 2020, 19:52

Please stop news about corona!
I come to this site to relax ... If I want to keep up to date with the news I watch TV. It frightens me!
Thank you
GIMP Learn rocks...

Lenny
Forum Member

Post#2 by Lenny » 04 Apr 2020, 03:59

With all due respect to the OP, rather than policing the speech of others, wouldn't it be easier if you avoided the offending posts? These days, it seems some are offended by almost anything. Instead of offering debate, the instinct seems to have moved towards shutting down the opinions of others. This has happened on college campuses, to "celebrities" for 10-year old social media posts, and to many others.

If this trend continues, the entire "Social" section of this forum should be renamed "Anything Goes, except..."

To me, this is a time when more discussion and more opinions are vital. There is one part of the website I haven't visited simply because it doesn't interest me and another gives me a bad feeling based on my personal beliefs. I simply avoid them. Yet, coming from a country with a history of free speech, I value others' rights to say what they want and will always defend their right to do so.

I realize it is difficult to determine tone and inflection in a written post. I mean nothing hurtful. Hopefully my opinion is welcome, for now.
GIMP Learn rocks...

CtrlAltDel
Forum Member

Post#3 by CtrlAltDel » 05 Apr 2020, 00:53

Lenny, you have to be very careful in modern times about what you say or you will be ostracized on message boards. If you don't think right, according to the mentality of the herd, you will not get any responses to your posts or any help with issues.

This is the college mentality that has slowly, but surely, seeped into modern society and is now almost normal. At colleges, no diversity of thought is allowed because it hurts and harms those who have to hear it and to critically examine things from different viewpoints can actually physically damage the brains of college students. Therefore, to literally protect their health , only one viewpoint on any given subject is allowed and it must be an approved viewpoint or you are guilty of attacking and harming those who have heard or read your words. It's actually assault and you can be charged with a crime or removed from the school,.

On another Gimp board, there can be page after page after page of multiple posters bashing, crapping on, ridiculing, and cruelly mocking the current United States president. That is okay because that is what is allowed and it makes small-minded bigots feel good to do that. No attempts are made to end the thread and no one is reprimanded.

But, let one single poster contradict those types of posts with just a single response that doesn't follow the herd, and that thread will be removed, no doubt after the admin. is probably bombarded with urgent pleas to do so from the weak-minded. Politically themed posts are fine in thread after thread, post after post, until someone goes against the grain and suddenly politics are not allowed on the board and never have been and never will be, blah, blah, blah.

You can forget about free speech on a message board; this isn't the United States. Just to prove to you that I am right, you can perform an experiment and see which will land you in the hottest water.

Say something negative about Donald Trump and observe the accolades, pats on the back, and post likes that you receive from posters in many different nations.

Say something negative about Xi Jinping and see how quickly you are accused of hatred, bigotry, and racism and observe the immediate demands for your removal from those very same posters.

It's quite the phenomenon.
GIMP Learn rocks...

Lenny
Forum Member

Post#4 by Lenny » 06 Apr 2020, 21:12

I've become a dinosaur. We all know what happened to them.

As to not stir the ashes in the fire, I'll only say that when absolutely everything is declared racism, bigotry, hate-speech, xenophobic, etc., then nothing is, as the labels are diluted to the point of being useless. But when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

I guess some forum owners/moderators clamp down differently. Everyone sees through the lens of his/her own bias, even though no one wants to admit the underlying bias.

Back to GIMP.
GIMP Learn rocks...

mahvin
Forum Member

Post#5 by mahvin » 10 Jun 2020, 21:28

We are more alike than we are different. Lenny, yes we can just "change the channel" if a post topic looks to appear offending. Unfortunately, we can't always change the channel. Being an "essential" worker (nothing special about it, IMHO) puts me right in front of the "nonsense" on a daily basis. The only way to avoid it is to walk away from my job (which I love). As CtrlAltDel points out, people who are one side of whatever the issue is about, can do all their favorable negative activities right out in the open and NO ONE says a word. The opposing side, well, watch yourself, lest you become an ANTIFA victim. It's degrading. Its sorrowful. As Tucker Carlson pointed out, "Who are we? What have we become?"

You hit on a point about discussion and debate, you see, those two activities are not part of where the problem lies. There is no debating or discussions going on. It's ALL "Orange Man BAD" from one group, and STFU from the same group, if the other group says anything. No one wants to debate or discuss anything anymore. In my environment, I'm the outcast, because I think like you, and would like to see open discussions. It's not happening. Our world will have to come to an inevitable ruin and repopulate only to repeat the history that no one is learning from.

Again, I decided enough was enough, and spoke up, asking the moderator to put an end to ALL of it. Trump bashers, be damned. They screamed out the obvious suppression of their 1st Amendment rights. Those same Trump bashers will more than likely send you death threats if some think and post differently than they do. The Corona, as people call it now, has ruined so many lives, it no longer has any comic value. Zero. But you won't find ANY Trump basher willing to discuss even THAT. People like us live lonely lives, the epitome of how societal breakdown is "in progress".
So, instead of rightfully suggesting that everyone "change the channel" (so cliche) suggest instead they post about their reasoning in wanting it to go away. The more people start speaking out the bigger the voice becomes.

As for CrtlAltDel, you're right. Shit flows downhill faster when a college education is actually political indoctrination. God forbid any of them break a nail, but give them a club and they will bash your brains in, without flinching. I know this because I lived in the heart of Portland, Oregon for 23 years, and saw how in the last 5 years, it began to unravel. I had #BLM and ANTIFA trying to break into my car while I was returning home from the hospital. Thank God the engineer who designed the auto door lock system came up with the idea. Otherwise, my story could more tragic. I dare you all to think differently. I challenge you all to speak out. I'm just sorry the misunderstanding took place and caused people grief when all I wanted was a day of peace with my GIMP application. I mean, didn't I say we're more alike than different?
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  🡆 Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP