2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | 🡆 Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Falling snow animated Scheme Script for Gimp

Share your Scheme Fu scripts for GIMP here
Tom
Forum Member

Re: Falling snow animated Scheme Script for Gimp

Post#21 by Tom » 16 Apr 2020, 13:42

Pat625 wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 22:35
Finally got a Gimp that would work with my computer (more or less) still some problems. I am going to just fight with it everyday so that I can Gimp! (I was having severe withdrawal). I love this Snow Script. Still experimenting!
JMSnowFallingV7.gif
I don't think it's just you. A few weeks ago I went through 4 versions of Gimp trying to find one that worked with all my plugins.
I'm using 2.10.12 right now. I hope they sort things out soon.

JimmyMarco
Forum Member

Post#22 by JimmyMarco » 17 Apr 2020, 09:23

Hello, :)

I'm using Gimp 2.10.18 Portable Version found HERE... and no problem with any script.

Last update with a new name for the script.

As it can use any brush, even self made brush in clip-board, it's renamed in :

Download file : falling-snow-or-other-brush-animV8.zip

Animations combining several effects :

Have fun. :)
@+++

JimmyMarco
Forum Member

Post#23 by JimmyMarco » 19 Apr 2020, 11:37

Download file : falling-snow-or-other-brush-animV9.zip

New update today :
I managed to make the script faster when a selection is setted.

@+++

Lenny
Guests

Post#24 by Lenny » 19 Apr 2020, 19:33

@Pat625, that mountain climber snow scene is lovely and peaceful. I don't quite understand how this gif thing works, but would a similar photo in the 1920x1080 size (aspect ratio for modern monitors) work as a screen saver - would the snow still fall?

@Tom, I'm having problems with 2.10.12 lately. Sometimes when choosing a function, as simple as copy, the program will lock up for a few seconds. It's worse with some filters locking up after one or two adjustments, in both GIMP and GMIC. My computer is new-ish, Win10 Pro 64, I5-4460 @ 3.2GHz and 16G RAM, so I'm confused (nothing new-ish there). Maybe it's the integrated HD Graphics not having enough horsepower. Anyone else having the lock ups?
GIMP Learn rocks...

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#25 by Pat625 » 19 Apr 2020, 22:18

Lenny, for several months, Ihave had multiple problems with the 2.10.12 win 10, 64bit. I have tried so many things and finally have some improvements but some do not last. Ex. Installed a fresh 2.10.12 after ridding all thing referring to Gimp in all folders of the drive. Pointed the plugins in the Edit\Preferences from Main menu.
It started up normally. Every thing was there and worked as it should. After doing a few practice, I stopped and exited. When I restarted Gimp, none of the added plugins and their pathways were gone! If I put a plug-in in a folder that came with Gimp it remained and functioned,

ThIs is not the only problem, but the most frustrating at the moment. I tried 2.10.12, 2,10.14, and 2.10.18. Having problems with all of them.

I had similar thoughts about making the mountain scene a screen saver but it won't work as is.Needs to be changed to a screen saver. I don' know how to do that.

Is there any one in the forum know how to make a screensaver? Please let us know if there is!

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#26 by Issabella » 20 Apr 2020, 08:52

If I understand it correctly this is the action.
Attachments
Multimedia-Keys-Keyboard.jpg
Multimedia-Keys-Keyboard.jpg # (54.65 KiB) Viewed 4975 times (Thumbnail | Recognize)
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

JimmyMarco
Forum Member

Post#27 by JimmyMarco » 20 Apr 2020, 11:53

Download file : falling-snow-or-other-brush-animV10.zip

Today update :
- Big clean-up the code
- Fasten script with selection in image
- Add missing layer modes ... 64 modes instead of 28, with correct names now

You will see "Legacy" modes give different results than "Normal" modes.

It is the last update... i hope.

I want to go back to my previous favorite activity... 3D Modeling, to make something like that :

@+++

RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Post#28 by RJKD » 20 Apr 2020, 18:37

Thankyou for all your work JimmyMarco, much appreciated.

Wallace
Global Moderator

Post#29 by Wallace » 22 Apr 2020, 06:58

Pat625 wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 22:18
Lenny, for several months, Ihave had multiple problems with the 2.10.12 win 10, 64bit. I have tried so many things and finally have some improvements but some do not last. Ex. Installed a fresh 2.10.12 after ridding all thing referring to Gimp in all folders of the drive. Pointed the plugins in the Edit\Preferences from Main menu.
It started up normally. Every thing was there and worked as it should. After doing a few practice, I stopped and exited. When I restarted Gimp, none of the added plugins and their pathways were gone! If I put a plug-in in a folder that came with Gimp it remained and functioned,

ThIs is not the only problem, but the most frustrating at the moment. I tried 2.10.12, 2,10.14, and 2.10.18. Having problems with all of them.

I had similar thoughts about making the mountain scene a screen saver but it won't work as is.Needs to be changed to a screen saver. I don' know how to do that.

Is there any one in the forum know how to make a screensaver? Please let us know if there is!
To Save Your Screenshot as a File

Press the “Windows logo key + PrtScn.”
If you’re using a tablet, press the “Windows logo button + volume down button.”
On some laptops and other devices,
you may need to press the “Windows logo key + Ctrl + PrtScn” or “Windows logo key + Fn + PrtScn” keys instead.
Check your laptop’s manual for more information.

The screen should dim for a moment and you will see the screenshot appear as a file in a folder entitled “Screenshots”, inside your default “Pictures” folder.

Lenny
Guests

Post#30 by Lenny » 25 Apr 2020, 19:46

@Pat625, @Wallace, and @RJKD, what did you do to get rid of the blips? I've worked with this script for two or three days now, running it hundreds of times with various adjustments and always get a blip, both in the GIMP animation playback screen and using outside players.

Is it my version 2.10.12?

Also, I found a free program that will play a GIF as a Desktop Wallpaper (behind the desktop icons). It is called Bionix Video Wallpaper and can be found here: http://www.bionixwallpaper.com/download ... _Setup.exe It is very simple to use and loads into the start menu.

@Wallace, my question was actually referring to a GIF screen saver, not screenshot, rather, the thing that can be set to start playing on your monitor when you walk away for a few minutes, like in the good old days. GIFs don't play naturally as screensavers for me in Win10 as @Pat625 mentioned, but I found a workaround -
  • Record a screen grab video of the GIF playing, I use OBS Studio (Free) for the recording.
    Open that recording in VLC (Free). Trim and save to preferred size.
    Select that mp4 video file in Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate (Free to use for converting videos under 3 minutes long) and convert to SWF.
    Select that SWF file in Instant Storm SWF Converter (Free), and build exe to install screensaver.
It's a bit convoluted, but each step is free, and you can have a screen saver from your own animated GIF. There's probably a way to do this in fewer steps, but I don't know. I did try to directly convert the GIF to a SWF then to an .SCR file, but that didn't work - the screen saver would show the static photo of the GIF, but just blink occasionally -- hence, the needed recording step in OBS. I only learned that was possible by seeing a Youtube post about using videos as screen savers.

So, when you leave your computer for that 10th cup of coffee, your animated falling snow GIF (or bubbling beer) will be there to greet you when you return.

Now, if I can just solve the GIF blip crisis.
GIMP Learn rocks...

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | 🡆 Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic