2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Luminosity Mask Drive Thru

Share your Python Fu Scripts/plug-ins for GIMP here
gibletsWithShaman
Forum Member

Luminosity Mask Drive Thru

Post#1 by gibletsWithShaman » 07 Jan 2021, 09:55

Hi gang,

I've created another luminosity mask plug-in for you. Basically, Luminosity Mask Drive Thru (LMDT) creates masks by reducing a mask influence by half. I go into this more in the How-to file included in the zip file.

- Charles

This is LMDT version 1. Published on January 7, 2021.
Luminosity Mask Drive Thru 1.zip
(522.05 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
:yay_yay_purple:
This is LMDT version 1.01 Published on January 8, 2021. The uneeded selection alphas are removed from the alpha channel.
Luminosity Mask Drive Thru 1.01.zip
(522.28 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
:paint
LMDT uses PYGTK in create the plug-in interface:
lmdt-window.jpg
lmdt-window.jpg (37.88 KiB) Viewed 905 times
:gimplearn:
The plug-in can be accessed in the 'Layer / Mask / Luminosity Mask Drive Thru' path.
menu-snap-shot.jpg
menu-snap-shot.jpg (49.6 KiB) Viewed 905 times
:NewGL:
LMDT can create from one to fourteen masks at a time.
layers-dock-with-all-14-masks.jpg
layers-dock-with-all-14-masks.jpg (64.91 KiB) Viewed 905 times
:GL2:
You'll need to copy the LMDT.py file to the plug-in folder.
find-the-plug-in-folder-location.jpg
find-the-plug-in-folder-location.jpg (51.06 KiB) Viewed 905 times
:computer_smiley:
Last edited by gibletsWithShaman on 09 Jan 2021, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.
Happy 25th birthday GIMP!

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#2 by Krikor » 07 Jan 2021, 20:49

I love luminosity masks. I already have some plug-ins for that purpose, but I always encourage myself to try other options.

Time to play with this new toy :-)

Thanks!
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

gibletsWithShaman
Forum Member

Post#3 by gibletsWithShaman » 07 Jan 2021, 23:38

Krikor,
I hope you find the plug-in useful.

I wouldn't have been able to create the script is wasn't for David Marsden's efforts. I studied his code in depth, and really couldn't have gotten very far without his example and inspiration.

For all you coders out there, if you haven't tried Visual Studio Code (It is free for Linux and Windows), then do so, because it's a Python learning experience like no other, expecially when used with the host of Python linters available.

Cheers and Happy New Year,
Charles

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#4 by Krikor » 08 Jan 2021, 04:58

gibletsWithShaman,

If you allow me a request (suggestion). Would it be possible to avoid so many channels being created each time we use the plug-in?

There was a moment that I noticed that I already had 71 channels created. I don't know how to delete them at once, so I preferred to close the image and start the experiments in a new image.

Even a simple combination and already creates something like 18 channels.

These channels are named like:
Selection Mask copy, Selection Mask copy #1, Selection Mask copy #2, etc.

It would be preferable if the existing channels were only those referring to the masks used - Lights, Darks, Darker Darks, etc, and with suggestive names, as is already done with the name of the layers created.

The interface of the plug-in is extremely intuitive, friendly and practical.
I haven't had time for further testing yet, but I am very pleased with the plugin.

Congratulations and thanks for creating it and sharing it with us!

PS: The material that comes with the plug-in is also something to be congratulated!
Last edited by Krikor on 08 Jan 2021, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

gibletsWithShaman
Forum Member

Post#5 by gibletsWithShaman » 08 Jan 2021, 18:06

Krikor,
The plug-in is only supposed to make one mask per checked option. So if I check the Lights option in the LMDT window, I only get one mask layer named after the source layer and the mask type. If you are getting the 'selection' layers, then the script is running incorrectly.

What version of GIMP are you using and on what platform? I have tested this script using GIMP 2.10.22 running on Windows 10.

Here, I have a start image named '291.png'.
291.jpg
291.jpg (26.56 KiB) Viewed 860 times
:NewGL:
Here is the result I get in the Layers Dock after selecting the Lights checkbox and then Go.
layer-dock.jpg
layer-dock.jpg (24.27 KiB) Viewed 860 times
- Charles

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#6 by Krikor » 08 Jan 2021, 19:41

gibletsWithShaman :
Krikor,
The plug-in is only supposed to make one mask per checked option. So if I check the Lights option in the LMDT window, I only get one mask layer named after the source layer and the mask type. If you are getting the 'selection' layers, then the script is running incorrectly.
Ok I know, my English is deplorable, but I thought I made it clear that I was talking about Channels, not Layers.
Krikor - Luminosity Masks LMDT
Krikor - Luminosity Masks LMDT
Untitled009.png (102.36 KiB) Viewed 848 times
In the layer window it's ok, I mean the channels that are created numerous in the window channels. (Channels vs. layers) dialog

gibletsWithShaman
Forum Member

Post#7 by gibletsWithShaman » 09 Jan 2021, 01:30

Krikor,
:2_Thumbs: Thank you very much for pointing this out and for the constructive ideas.

I hadn't even looked at the channels, nor had I thought about the implications of keeping the alphas. Personally, I think there's no point in preserving the selections as they just add their bulk to the file size. Plus, the user can always create an alpha from the mask if they need the channel. So I've modified LMDT, where the alpha selections are removed, and put up the latest version.

:bull_riding:
- Charles

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#8 by Krikor » 10 Jan 2021, 00:27

gibletsWithShaman wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 01:30
Krikor,
:2_Thumbs: Thank you very much for pointing this out and for the constructive ideas.

[...] and put up the latest version.
- Charles
Thanks for the update! :2_Thumbs:

david
Forum Member

Post#9 by david » 10 Jan 2021, 10:35

gibletsWithShaman,

I am pleased that you have continued the process of developing luminosity masks.

My attempts were only possible by "stealing" ideas from others and the very useful help, advice and criticism I received, particularly from Krikor.

david.

gibletsWithShaman
Forum Member

Post#10 by gibletsWithShaman » 10 Jan 2021, 21:32

david,
Everytime I was ready to give-up on the script, which was a daily occurrance, I would end up going back and studying your scripts again.

That is one reason why I appreciate open source code because constructive ideas, once shared, have the opportunity to return to life and make lives better.

Charles

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic