2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | 🡆 Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Mandala/Kaleidoscope script?

Post your Script Requests for GIMP here.
Forum rules
Request your Script(s) for GIMP here in this forum.
Provide details of steps performed in GIMP so that script can be written for the process and also give the request a name so that scripts can be named after.
enxio27
Forum Member

Mandala/Kaleidoscope script?

Post#1 by enxio27 » 24 Mar 2021, 19:55

Is there a script somewhere to take a design that is 1/16 or 1/12 or 1/8 of a circle and repeat/flip it radially to make a mandala or snowflake effect? (I know about the script to create mandalas using a person's name, but I want to start with a design, perhaps imported from InkScape or another image.) My goal is to be able to (among other uses) make designs like these (tatting patterns):
Amaziograph Doily.jpg
Amaziograph Doily.jpg # (134.83 KiB) Viewed 334 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile)
Amaziograph Snowflake.jpg
Amaziograph Snowflake.jpg # (55.25 KiB) Viewed 334 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile)
Amaziograph Square.jpg
Amaziograph Square.jpg # (95.04 KiB) Viewed 334 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile)
GIMP Learn rocks...

tim
GL Blogger

Post#2 by tim » 25 Mar 2021, 15:09

aka Tin

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#3 by Pat625 » 26 Mar 2021, 21:37

Tin, looks like a really nice idea. I have not seen one like that. Your snowflake one is the only one that I know. However, I missed a lot and am not a code person so there could be many. When we were discussing making mandalas, Mahvin and a few others were showing how to take a pie slice of an image and flip it over radially to complete the pie and have a mandala. It was not a script but a tutorial. I'll see if I can find it.

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#4 by Krikor » 27 Mar 2021, 13:50

Some options:
Windows - Dockable dialogs - Symmetry Paints.

In G'MIC:
In Deformations there are about 4 varieties of Kaleidoscope.
In Testings there is Joan Rake's Kaleidoscope Layer Cake.

There is also the Filters - Distorts - Kaleidosscope
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#5 by Krikor » 27 Mar 2021, 15:50

Taking the second image from post #1 as an example.

Draw 1/12 of the figure.
1-12ofcircle.png
Krikor - 1/12 section
1-12ofcircle.png # (44.85 KiB) Viewed 254 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile)
Then run the plug-in with the option 'Unfold' and voilà, you get your full image.
Attachments
FullCircle.png
Krikor - Full circle
FullCircle.png # (359.57 KiB) Viewed 254 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile)
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

tim
GL Blogger

Post#6 by tim » 29 Mar 2021, 13:50

Krikor has mastered the "Snow-flake" plug-in
aka Tin

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | 🡆 Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic